Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Jew in the Bubble

A very interesting, emotional, and intense conversation with a friend inspired me to write this blog. I am sure that some people share the same feelings as I do about this, at least I hope others do...

Sometimes I feel like I grew up in this "Jewish Bubble" of a community. I am sure that this is partially true, just because where I grew up has a very large Jewish population. Cherry Hill, NJ has been referred to by some as the "Jerusalem of NJ" because of how many Jews reside there as well as the diversity you find within the Jewish community. I enjoyed growing up there. I led a very happy life in this Jewish community, and I couldn't have imagined a better place to live. No one really questioned my Jewish identity there, which I definitely took for granted.

It never occurred to me that I would have to defend my choices within Judaism as well as my overall Jewish identity. When I left my safe bubble of Cherry Hill and arrived at this huge school without knowing many people at all, I was shocked when I was confronted with accusations of not being a "Good Jew" (whatever that means) because my house was not Kosher, or because I didn't go to shul multiple times a week. I was brought up in a diverse Jewish community where people were generally understanding of the various denominations. There were a few times that I had to explain why I practiced Judaism the way I did, but I never really had to defend my beliefs.

In some ways I think it is a good thing that I have had to defend my beliefs. It makes me want to learn even more so I can give more intellectual answers to those who question me. But at the same time, I find it pretty discouraging and disheartening that people criticize my practices. I guess it is a part of life, and I am just going to have to get used to it.

1 comment:

Jessica Berndt said...

I bet that is a really difficult situation. I know that being from Bloomington, I generally expect people to think a certain way and to be accepting of certain things (and not of others), so when I go to other places in Indiana or wherever, it feels like I have left a "safe" place. It is amazing how a person's environment can be a huge factor in his or her identity, or the way a person defines her identity. .