Friday, April 18, 2008

Sephardic March of the Living

Wow. I am extremely impressed with the plans for a Sephardic March of the Living. I think it is a great idea, and will really expand people's understanding of the Sephardic Jewry.

I would be interested to go on this trip for the sole purpose of figuring out my possible Sephardic ties. As I have expressed in other blogs, I am convinced, and quite strongly so, that I have Sephardic roots on my Dad's side of the family. I have very little knowledge of this side, and I am interested to find out more.

When it comes to Sephardim in the Holocaust, I have absolutely no knowledge of any facts or stories. To be honest, I don't think I ever even thought about the possibility of the Sephardic population being targets of the Nazi Regime, especially the Greek population. March of the Living is an incredible program as it is right now, I have several friends that have been on it in the past, and a good friend of mine is leaving soon for the next trip. When I was in the Czech Republic in the summer of 2005 with my Israel trip, we were able to experience Terezin with a survivor. I don't think there is anything more powerful than hearing the stories of the place you are from someone who lived through them. I was also fortunate enough to be a part of a reenactment of the Exodus mission with an American war veteran who worked on the ship (who is also married to the survivor that was with us in Terezin).

I think it is important to explore the places that the March of the Living programs take you. These experiences really help expand and develop one's Jewish identity.

No comments: